Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The Baobab Tree

"The Baobab Tree"


In the fall of 2017, I produced a small calendar with some of my photographs. I then promised that there would be a blog post to explain each shot. I didn't make it too far but here goes to fulfilling the promise almost three years later...


About the shot: We had just spent our first full day at In Field Mentoring honing our training skills and going over our experiments with our chief trainer, Grant Dryden. The location was a field not far from the main Overland Rapid 14 base which is on the Zambizi gorge just north of Livingstone. I doddled behind and found this silhouette of a Baobab tree as we left the training site. I love the shot because it gives you the typical shape of the tree as well as the feeling of a warm African evening with the glow of the yellow setting sun. If you're familiar with the African seasons you can also see that it is dry season -- not a single leaf on most trees!

The story: Baobab trees are a quintessential skyline feature in many parts of Africa. We don't have any in Uganda so it was amazing seeing many of these beautiful trees when I traveled to Zambia in 2014. I was in Zambia for In Field Mentoring with the Farming God's Way "family" in 2014 and got to see a number of Baobab trees. I had Albert along and we enjoyed this very dry but amazing section of the continent together!


No comments: