Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Orphans Know More visits Entebbe Zoo

Last Saturday we had the pleasure of joining with the OKM families for their annual meeting which we had at the Zoo in Entebbe. It was quite an adventurous day. Jane was suffering from an eye that had mysteriously become very swollen. She looked like someone had boxed her in the eye (not me!!). We had a crouded and bumpy 3 hr trip tpo Entebbe (which is aout 130km from our place), We had to hold the kids in our arms -- one of the girls held Isaiah and Jane and I held Kenny and Albert. We were sitting on the jump seats that fill the aisle up between the main seets. It was definitely a Ugandan inititiation for us and the kids (if we hadn't had enough initiations already). It was nice to watch the passing scenery with the kids and explain to them about tea and sugar plantations and Mabira forrest which we passed through. We had to pass through Kampala which was also an adventure as our buses were trying to avois the ever present traffic jams in the heart of the city. We ended up on one road that we had to turn around when we discovered that there was a street-wide pot-hole which the center part looked to be two to three feet deep (it was hard to tell with the muddy water it waas filled with, but it seemed to be quite deep as other vehicles seemed to swimming thru the pothole).

We finally arrived in Entebbe at around 1pm. We startd by having lunch, which was the boys first time to eat with hands since coming back.Then we sang a few songs led by our friend Sosthanes(who is from Central Africa Republic). Then Jane and I shared our heart for the ministry and were formally introduced to the families. After that all of the families introduced themselves. These were big introductions as some families were well over 20 people.

After our introductions we went in to the zoo, The boys really loved the animals - especially the lion and chimps. There were lots of other animals to see including a shoebill stork, ostriches, a croc and monkeys who had free run of the whole zoo.

We had another long trek back but it seemed to go a bit better. We got home at around 9pm and were very tired. It was a good but exhausting day.
We now know many of the families and kids in OKM and we will now be meeting the families individually.

1 comment:

violet said...

Great pictures, Chris! I love these reports - keep posting.

Love to all you guys.