Saturday, July 28, 2018

"Seaside Apartments in Summerstrand"


"Seaside Apartments in Summerstrand"

This is the second shot in a monthly series that goes with the 2018 Calendar I recently put out. The calendar is composed of shots from my Instagram account @cssperling. Each blog in this series will have a little info about the shot and then the story behind the shot. (sorry I'm a bit behind but I need to keep promises)

About the shot:
Just like the last month's shot, February's shot is from a trip to Port Elizabeth. I've had the blessing of being in the windy city a few times on work assignments with Equip. It has a feel like southern California with blue skies, amazing surf and lots of palm trees but without all the crowds!

This is a nice bright building with pleasing lines that stand out nicely in black and white. It sort of gives a Mediterranean feeling with the stark white structure against the deep blue skies. I went with the black and white as it brings out the staggered apartments accented by the tropical silhouettes  of the shrubbery against the dark hues of the blue sky.

The story:
I would pass this building as I walked from my friends' Summerstrand apartment, where I often stay in PE, on my way to buy a few favourites at the local Spar supermarket. It's a short walk in the cool brisk winter air (winter here means highs of 16-20C with lots of wind!) to a nearby mall where I would come to stock the fridge with great South African treats like pastries, cheese, along with  a favourite --my grenadine yogurt! This picture spurs fond memories of bright and blustery days on the amazing Eastern Cape. 

No comments: